First United Methodist Church in the heart of Downtown, Wichita, Kansas, is seeking a part-time talented organist to play for both our Sunday morning early traditional “Heritage” service and our televised “Downtown Alive Service”. The organist serves as primary accompanist for the chancel choir and soloists and will work closely with the Director of Music and the Worship Planning Team.
The sanctuary organ of First United Methodist Church is the largest pipe organ in the State of Kansas and was built in 1999 by the Schantz Organ Company of Orville, Ohio. There are more than 5,000 pipes housed in chambers on either side of the chancel and the balcony of the church. The large 4 manual (keyboard) console is located in front of the church and controls the main organ as well as the antiphonal organ in the balcony. The Chapel organ is a 7 rank/2 manual Reuter with full pedal board, originally built in the 1940’s. It has 3 presets and is in very good condition. The Sanctuary piano is a Steinway Grand.
As part of the regular duties, the organist will:
- Provide accompaniment for weekly chancel choir rehearsals
- coordinate music selection with the Director of Music and other worship staff
- work with cantors in the Heritage service to teach them the music
- oversee musical instrument maintenance in worship and rehearsal spaces.
Occasional duties will include:
- accompaniment for weddings, funerals and special services
- the pursuit of continuing education opportunities
Qualifications for this position are:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music from an accredited educational institution or equivalent
- Ability to play organ and the piano in both traditional and contemporary music styles
- A high level of technical proficiency in solo organ and piano, accompanying, sight reading and improvisation
- Background or familiarity with sacred music
- A growing and deepening faith in Christ
- Musically gifted, relational servant leader, with a love of worship
Compensation commensurate upon education and experience ($20,000 to $25,000 year)